Risk taking ability depends on family and grooming
Over the last few days, the question that has been on the top of my mind is - "Why am I so risk averse?"
The question came up in my mind after I realised that I am hesitant to take even the smallest risk, even when I know that by taking the risk I am not putting much at stake. Be it a small decision like buying something for as little as Rs.500 or making a tax-saving investment decision, I weigh the pros and cons so much that I miss out on the opportunity.
After thinking over it for quite a few days, I have found the answer to my question, but a solution to my problem still seems far away. I guess, my risk-averse behaviour has been shaped by the uncertainities that I have seen my family facing as I have grown up. There has always been virtual boundries around every decision of my family. Inspite of high debts, we always enjoyed a reasonably good life-style. However, there was always a hint to guilt whenever we tried to stretch and it held us back.
I tried to find out as to what is so special about people who boldly take risks (sometimes even without calculating its potential impact) and manage to succeed also. I realise that either they have suffered too much early in their lives or they have lived a life without any worries. People who have suffered too much early in their lives become immune to new troubles ("A wet man is never afraid of rains" - as someone rightly said). On the other hand, there are people, who have always lived without any major worries (because of their family environment) and they feel a virtual support behind every risky move they make.
Unfortunately, I don't fall into either of the 2 categories mentioned above. I (and my family) have our share of financial problems - enough to bring about discomforting thoughts but never actually brought any discomfort. This is probably the worst thing because it always remains a mental barrier and not a physical/tangible barrier.
I just hope that some day I can break my mental barriers. I know that is the only thing holding me back.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home